Urban Aboriginal Healthy Living (UAHL) Program Worker
The Nogojiwanong Friendship Centre (NFC) is a not-for-profit, culture and community-based organization mandated to serve the needs of urban Indigenous people in the City of Peterborough and the surrounding area.
Position Objective and Responsibilities
The objective of the Urban Aboriginal Healthy Living Worker is to ensure the effective delivery of the Healthy Living program by designing and implementing healthy lifestyle programs with the intent to improve health status through improved cardiovascular health and physical activity; smoking reduction and cessation; enhanced nutritional knowledge and weight management; and support of youth leadership initiatives.
The main responsibility of the position is to ensure all aspects of the Healthy Living program are designed, planned, coordinated, delivered, and evaluated effectively, efficiently, and in accordance with established performance standards. Workers will plan and deliver programs through an integrated approach, in a team environment, and where appropriate, in partnership with external agencies. All NFC Program Workers will collaborate to ensure the needs of the NFC are met and that planned NFC social and recreational activities are effectively and efficiently delivered.
- Knowledgeable of local and regional health promotion/healthy lifestyle programs and service agencies, creating positive working relationships and partnerships to broaden access to health promotion services, meeting the wholistic needs of the urban Indigenous community.
- Knowledge and awareness of Indigenous culture and history, with an understanding of the impacts of trauma.
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to build positive working relationships with external agencies.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications, specifically Office 365.
- Ability to work within the established policies and procedures of the NFC organization.
- Must have the ability to work independently and with a team, with minimal supervision.
- Good organizational and administrative skills.
- Excellent report writing skills.
- Indigenous heritage a preference; (ref: Aboriginal Employment Preference Policy).
- A satisfactory Criminal Reference Check (CPIC) with a Vulnerable Sector Search (VSS) will be a condition of the employment offer; and
- Must be fully vaccinated (COVID-19)
If you are interested in qualifying for the position, please email a Cover Letter, Resume and three (3) Working References to the attention of:
Cynthia Gray, Human Resource/Program Manager
Nogojiwanong Friendship Centre
Application open until the position is filled.
**** Only those selected for an interview will be contacted ****
Job Types: Full-time, Fixed term contract
Contract length: 12 months
Salary: $47,000.00 per year
- Extended health care
- 8-hour shift
Must be fully vaccinated (COVID-19)