Indigenous Language Revitalization (ILRP) Program Coordinator
The Nogojiwanong Friendship Centre (NFC) is a not-for-profit, culture and community-based organization mandated to serve the needs of urban Indigenous people in the City of Peterborough and surrounding area. The NFC is currently accepting applications for a full-time position as the Indigenous Languages Revitalization Program Coordinator (ILRP).
Position Objective and Responsibilities
The goal of the Indigenous Languages Revitalization Program is to support the development of the Friendship Centre language hubs and will work toward integrating Indigenous languages within the Friendship Centres and communities through the provision of community-based Indigenous Language Programming.
The program coordinator is responsible to lead, manage and coordinate the design, development, implementation, in-service, and evaluation of the Indigenous Language Revitalization Program (ILRP). As well as provide resources and materials to ensure that participants receive a high quality of Indigenous language and culture education that meets their needs.
The ILRP will provide access to culture and/or land-based Indigenous Language activities and requires Friendship Centres to create partnerships and build relationships with external agencies that support Indigenous Language Learning.
- Education in a relevant post-secondary program (i.e. Indigenous Studies, Social Work).
- Minimum of 2 years of work experience in the community and language-related field, preferably for an Indigenous organization.
OR a combination of education and experience deemed acceptable by the Hiring Committee
- Knowledge of or passion for the Indigenous Languages.
- Strong knowledge and awareness of Indigenous culture and history, with an understanding of the impacts of residential schools, child welfare systems, and colonialism on intergenerational language transmission.
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to build positive working relationships with external agencies,
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with the ability to plan and prioritize, and efficiently meet deadlines,
- Knowledge of Indigenous language landscape both provincially and federally,
- High proficiency in MS Office applications, specifically Office 365,
- Ability to work within the established policies and procedures of the NFC organization,
- Outstanding analytical, problem-solving, and troubleshooting skills,
- Must have the ability to work independently and with a team, with minimal supervision,
- Must have a valid driver’s license and be willing to travel when required,
- Good organizational and administrative skills,
- Excellent report writing skills,
- Indigenous heritage a preference; (ref: Aboriginal Employment Preference Policy),
- A satisfactory Criminal Reference Check (CPIC) with a Vulnerable Sector Search (VSS) will be a condition of the employment offer; and
- Must be fully vaccinated (COVID-19)
If you are interested in qualifying for the position, please email a Cover Letter, Resume, and Three (3) Working References to the attention of:
Cynthia Gray, Human Resources/Program Manager
Nogojiwanong Friendship Centre
Salary: $47,000.00 per year
Application open until the position is filled.
**** Only those selected for an interview will be contacted ****