The Nogojiwanong Friendship Centre is a non-profit culture and community based organization mandated to serve the needs of all urban Aboriginal people, regardless of status, in the City of Peterborough and the surrounding area.
The Nogojiwanong Friendship Centre is one of 29 Friendship Centre located in cities, towns and rural areas throughout Ontario and 118 across Canada. Collectively, we are a Friendship Centre Movement (FCM); the country’s most significant off-reserve Aboriginal service delivery infrastructure. For Peterborough and other nearby urban communities the Nogojiwanong Friendship Centre is the primary service organization for Aboriginal people requiring culturally-sensitive and culturally-appropriate services/programs.
- The Friendship Centre is a membership driven organization that serves all urban Aboriginal people, regardless of status.
- The Friendship Centre offers supportive programs and services that are needed in the community, as well as a place of acceptance and well-being for urban Aboriginal peoples.
- Programs and services are culture and community based, tailored specifically to the needs of the Peterborough area.
- Staff and volunteers currently provide six (6) programs for urban Aboriginal people, with services covering the full spectrum of the life cycle.
- The Friendship Centre is governed by a volunteer Board of Directors consisting of elected members.